Life of a biologist

Everyday, we are awoken at 5 AM by the grumbling cries of howler monkeys near the guesthouse. They sound pretty terrifying, but they’re just the roosters of CR. The day begins really early here so I don’t mind that nature tells us to get up in the mornings.

Mufasa the aggouti eating scraps
Mufasa the aggouti eating scraps

At 7AM, we all head to the dining area and a typical CR breakfast: eggs, toast, rice with beans from last night, and coffee. The warm coffee isn’t too caffeinated so I just like to hold it with my hands and savor its delicious taste. I usually don’t eat carbs back in the US, but I’ve grown so fond of these overly buttered plain white toast and rice. The beans are a favorite of my too, even though I have it every meal. We usually enjoy the warm air, watching birds, butterflies, and aggoutis.

A typical breakfast: gallo pinto from dinner leftovers, eggs, and coffee
A typical breakfast: gallo pinto from dinner leftovers, eggs, and coffee

At around 8AM, we pack our stuff (two lab equipment bags, snorkeling gear, first aid kit, buckets, water bottles) and head out! It’s usually not too hot yet; a perfect 80’s. I spray myself with sunblock and deet, put on my hiking hat, and put an electrolyte tablet into my Camelbak.

Our best friend in the wild
Our best friend in the wild

We usually head to the river and scope out the area for a good pool. We’re trying to get fish from different places of the river, so we’ve been everywhere from the waterfall at the reserve edge and back. We usually spot some cool animals on the way.

We snorkel for convict cichlids. They’re usually most active in the mornings when they start to feed. The water’s a bit cold for the mornings but I get adjusted pretty quickly. We usually have a sort of assembly line set up – someone at the bucket weighing the fish and taking dorsal photos, the next person taking UV/visible light photos, and Lexi pumping their stomachs. I’ve gotten really good at catching them. I use two main methods: taking two nets and using a scooping motion, or lowering a net from above the fish. They nest and hid in rocky areas so you have to anticipate where they’re going.

At 11:30, we start to pack and head back from our noon lunch. We really can’t be late or Sade reprimands us (jokingly). She’s our jolly babysitting grandmother. Lunch is usually rice, beans, and some sort of meat with some freshly made juice.

Standard rice&beans lunch
Standard rice&beans lunch

At 1:30, we pack up to head out again. We usually go to another spot of the river, and repeat. We’re all glad to get into the water at this point since we’re usually sweating from the walk.

By 6PM, we’re back at the guesthouse getting ready for dinner: rice, beans, and some meat dish. I’m telling you, our meals have been simple, consistent, and lacking in flavor in the best way possible. Our “dessert” is usually munching on the junk food we bought at the grocery store.

A quick, cold shower later, we’re typically lounging about reading, trying to get the Wifi to work, or just chilling. It’s not a long night because we’re all exhausted by 9 and fall asleep soon after.

It’s only a 10 day trip, but this schedule makes it feel like we’ve been here for much longer. I really enjoy the calm and routine; there’s not much else to think about or do. It’s a great pause before the storm, aka final college semester ever.


Author: sarachoister

Documenting the journey of being a medical student

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s